Garlic-Shallot Roast Chicken with Ginger Nước Chấm
1 packet Concentrated Nước Chấm
2 teaspoons grated ginger
Butterfly and Marinate the Chicken
- Add all ingredients for the Seasoning Paste into a mortar and grind into a paste. Set aside. (If you don’t have a mortar and pestle, this step may be done using a countertop or immersion blender).
- Remove the excess fat around the thighs and neck of the chicken. Position the chicken breast side up, with the legs pointing towards you.
- Apply half the seasoning paste underneath the skin of the chicken by tucking your hand between the skin and the flesh of the chicken. Do this for the thigh, back and breast areas, making sure to avoid the breast bone area.
- Butterfly the chicken by running sharp kitchen shears along the breast bone. The chicken will now lay flat. Rub the remainder of the seasoning paste onto the interior and exterior of the chicken.
- Place the chicken skin side up onto a 9” x 11” baking dish lined with a wire rack and place it, uncovered, in the refrigerator. Let the chicken marinate for at least 8 hours, or up to 2 days.
Roast the chicken
- 30 minutes before roasting, take the chicken baking dish out of the refrigerator and let it sit on the counter to come to room temperature. Preheat the oven to 375°F.
- Place the chicken, breast side up, onto an 8 x 10-inch wire set in a 9 x 13-inch baking sheet, then place it to the middle rack of the oven. Roast for 20 minutes.
- After 20 minutes, increase the oven temperature to 425°F. Rub the chicken skin with butter and roast an additional 15-25 minutes, until the skin is golden. The total roasting time should be 35-45 minutes.
- Remove the chicken from the oven and let it rest on the wire rack for 15 minutes before transferring it to a platter. Carefully strain the chicken’s drippings that have collected in the baking pan into a small ramekin or bowl.
Make the Ginger Nước Chấm
- Mix 1 packet of Concentrated Nước Chấm with the grated ginger and ¼ cup water. Set aside.
- Carve the chicken and serve with ginger nuoc cham and pan drippings on the side.
Shop Red Boat
Red BoatOriginal price $14.95 - Original price $19.95Original price$14.95 - $19.95$14.95 - $19.95Current price $14.95
Fish sauce is an almost indispensable umami ingredient in the Far East, particularly in Thailand, Vietnam, Cambodia, and the Philippines. Used prop...View full detailsOriginal price $14.95 - Original price $19.95Original price$14.95 - $19.95$14.95 - $19.95Current price $14.95
Red BoatOriginal price $9.95 - Original price $9.95Original price$9.95$9.95 - $9.95Current price $9.95
Red Boat Salt is infused with their famous fish sauce and adds a natural touch of umami to any dish. Sprinkle a pinch on everything from steaks to ...View full detailsOriginal price $9.95 - Original price $9.95Original price$9.95$9.95 - $9.95Current price $9.95